Sunday - Feb 3, 2019

It is early on Sunday morning and I find myself reflecting back about a week lost to the weather and looking forward to being back in session tomorrow morning. My guess is that all - students, parents, faculty and staff - are ready to jump back into the semester after a week off. I know that after spending Thursday and Friday in a very quiet building, I am ready for the noise and activity that fills the building when we are in session. Personally, I love feeling the positive energy and incredible electricity that occurs when the building is filled with students learning and faculty teaching. It is truly a WOW experience for me and challenges me to push the agenda forward.

The decision to close school is absolutely one of the toughest decisions required of me. Many believe that the decision is made easier by just following the decisions made by Mona Shores and/or Muskegon. Though I would agree that decisions they make play a role in our decision process, it is far from that easy. Each day this week, at some point, Mrs. Aldrich and Mrs. Jones and I began to to text each other. We are all monitoring the weather conditions, the impact of the weather on the roads and student safety, and noting  any school closures in our region (defined as in which public school districts our students live within). Throughout this exercise, we want to ensure that if school remains open, students and their families will be able to travel to and from school safely. Given the conditions this week, I consulted with the Superintendent of the MAISD to gain a better understanding of what the discussion was at the local school level, realizing that they were privy to information and data about road conditions and weather that I was not. To be honest, I stressed over each decision. With the help of Mrs. Aldrich and Mrs. Jones, I come to a level of comfort with a decision and take the appropriate next steps to communicate the decision made to our constituencies.

Please note that the impact of a decision to close on the child care needs of our families is a part of our conversation. We understand our families need to know as early as possible so that appropriate and necessary arrangements can be made.

I am looking forward to an exciting week. I know that discussions are already underway about rescheduling many of the events that were planned as a part of the Catholic Schools Week celebration. We will hold our celebrations are little later than other Catholic schools in the country. I am sure that in the days to come more information will be shared by Mrs. Aldrich and Mrs. Jones concerning these activities.

May God continue to bless all Crusaders!


St. John Paul II pray for us!

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.