Catholic Education has been a strong tradition in Muskegon for over a century. The mission of offering a Christ-centered education for children began in 1871 when three members of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Order established the first parochial school at St. Mary’s Parish. Their shared vision with the Muskegon community thrives more than 130 years later as Muskegon Catholic Schools continue to educate young men and women with Christ as the focus and role model.
After its inception in 1871, Catholic education flourished in the area over the next century with the opening of six additional parish elementary schools and three high schools. By the middle of the 20th century, as times and standards changed, many Muskegon area Catholics and their pastors began to dream of a central Catholic high school. At the beginning of the 1953-54 school year, after countless planning sessions and fund raising efforts, Muskegon Catholic Central became a reality. The school represented the first step in developing a comprehensive consolidated Catholic school system to meet the needs of area families. Through the years there have been several expansions and updates and eventually all Catholic schools joined the consolidation.
Today the Muskegon area parishes work in union to support Muskegon Catholic Schools. Our students come from Muskegon, Newaygo and northern Ottawa counties. We offer a comprehensive educational program providing a curriculum for preschool through twelfth grade as well as a child care program. We are blessed with the opportunity to continue the great heritage of Catholic education that was forged by so many over the years.